The Berkshires Blog

Saturday, January 22, 2005

AND WE THOUGHT WE HAD IT BAD AS COUNSELORS...

When I was a counselor, some of our kids were extremely hyperactive, to the point of being unmanageable. After some consultation with camp leadership and talking to parents on Visiting Day, we were made aware that some of the kids were on heavy doses of Ritalin and other meds for AD/HD during the school year. But in the summer, the parents gave the kids a break from the medication, and the rest, as they say, was our history.

But that was nothing! This snippet comes courtesy of a TV-themed e-newsletter that sometimes appears in the mailbox of the Ramah Bloggerette:

ABC continues in its current vein of "reality with reason" with a new reality program finishing up production on six eps called Brat Camp, per Variety. Based on the UK series from producer Twenty Twenty, the show brings together nine trouble adolescents at a wilderness camp in Utah where they are challenged to reach outside their comfort zones, develop new character strengths and eventually turn their lives around. To get a feel for this new series, check out four eps of the UK version Brat Camp on ABC Family, Monday nights.—Cynopsis.com

Counseloring is hard. But reality shows are harder.

1 Comments:

  • Who knew CAMP was such a break from medication? I know I got plenty of stress from camp back in the day: I mean, who to send a Shabbat-O-Gram to? Whether to wear my jean shorts over my bathing suit down at the beach just in case it's too damn cold to jump into Lake Ellis? Whether to spread the jelly or the peanut butter first for the Yom Daled sandwiches, or do I just mix the two together and THEN glob it on the bread?? How to divvy up my free time after Peulat Erev so I can scope out the girls I "like like", while not alienating the girls I actually "like" and hang out with on a daily basis? Alas, a cold cup of bug juice and a good "hardamah" was all it took to get me back to happier thoughts...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home